Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Movie Review: Bangkok Dangerous



This movie starts off a little slow as the viewer is brought into the mundane life of an assassin. Joe (Nicolas Cage) explains the rules he lives by...which explains why his life is mundane. It's good if you are an assassin and this is the type of life you lead. I guess that speaks volumes about his professionalism. Now, if the movie continued along this path it would be really boring. Sure, we'd see Joe kill people, but that's not exciting. The most fascinating aspect of this movie to me is Joe's attempt at having a normal life. Joe going on a date. Joe interacting with an elephant. These are some really great scenes. Cage's acting is superb in these moments. Cage masterfully presents an array of emotions in his body language. Seeing him learn and try to blend in with a different culture, these are excellent moments. This movie also has a pretty freaking awesome chase scene that requires a great deal of high fiving. I regret to report that I watched this movie alone.

I would recommend watching this movie--in a group setting. With a name like Bangkok Dangerous I would have expected more action. I guess I'll have to wait for the sequel or prequel. I don't really care which one it is as long as Cage is back. However, I might suggest asking Jason Statham to sign on to the project too. That way Statham and Cage could be brothers that are assassins. Maybe they don't really want to work together, but have to for some reason. The title could be The Thailander, or Bangkoker Dangerously. I would watch it.

0 comments: